When family law matters and tax collide: traps your family law professional needs to know about
In this episode, my law partner, Kim Visram, joins me for a candid conversation on key tax issues that a person needs to keep in mind when separating/divorcing - we discuss taxation of spousal and child support, the child tax credit, the importance of interspousal agreements (i.e., the "pre-nup"), and alternative dispute resolution as a means of resolving family law issues.
In this episode, we discuss the following issues: (1) Key tax issues that arise in most separations/divorces (8:38); (2) How to minimize financial implications upon separation/divorce with effective planning in an interspousal agreement (45:20); (3) How to utilize alternative dispute resolution measures to find creative solutions and minimize tax implications arising from separation/divorce (56:00).
- “Negotiate your best life” (A podcast) - https://negotiateyourbestlifepodcast.com
- Conflict Resolution Saskatchewan: https://conflictresolutionsk.ca/member-profile/?uid=162
- Government of Saskatchewan, “Family Mediators who have been recognized under Section 44.01 of The Queen’s Bench Act, 1998” - https://pubsaskdev.blob.core.windows.net/pubsask-prod/115118/Recognized%252BFamily%252BMediators%252BList_July%252B16%252B2020.pdf
- Website: https://www.shtb-law.com/lawyers/kimberly-d-visram/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyVisramLegal